Sunday, July 22, 2012

It's snowing in July!

Happy Monday everyone! I am enjoying crafting for for the holidays to get my mind off these 100°+ weather. I choose July to begin my projects for the holidays so that I can take my time and do crafting with my kids along the way. 
Today we made ornaments and light reflectors for our holiday tree. The best part about this project...it's upcycled water bottles!!! The bottoms of water and soda  bottles, Sakura Hobby Crafts 3D Crystal Lacquer,  Terri Sproul's Mixers, Glitter and Want2Scrap Bling make beautiful ornaments and lights! I can't wait to put up my tree completely this year to show off my new sparklies!

The Process

for this project you will need:
empty bottles
Sakura Hobby Crafts 3D Crystal Lacquer
Terri Sproul Mixers
Ultra Fine Glitter
With sharp scissors, cut the bottoms off of the bottles.
trim them close to the turn of the bottle to get the scallop edge.
Mix the lacquer and the mixers for your snowflake ornaments and reflectors.
For my tree I used aquamarine, rose and purple. I applied 2 to 3 coats of lacquer

Mix glitter and lacquer to paint several coats onto the backs of 
several blank bottoms and onto some of the already painted bottoms too.
Those painted with JUST GLITTER next had a coat of silver mixer applied
to make the reflectors.

The bottle bottoms looks fabulous and sparkly...
They are ready to be made into reflectors and ornaments


For those made into reflectors, drill a hole into the center
big enough to fit the light.


For those being transformed into ornaments, glitter the
tops of the bottles and add BLING! To add string to the
ornaments, cut a hole in one spot and thread it through.


Earlier this month on leslierahye's crafty gig I recorded how to cut, paint and glitter the bottoms. Check out the replay for additional ideas!
\




Thank you for looking! I hope you enjoyed my tutorial!~leslierahye

1 comment:

  1. Wow Leslie! These ornaments and reflectors are really nice! They will make beautiful decorations for your tree.

    ReplyDelete