Sunday, July 8, 2012

Tic-Tac-Turtle Game!

I hope everyone is enjoying their summer! It's hard to believe that it's already July! This is the time of the year I start thinking about handmade presents for my friends and family for the holiday gift giving season.
We have "unplugged" nights in our family where we spend it away from our electronic devices and instead read books--the old-fashioned paper kind--and play games or art. Sometimes we find that the simple games are the most timeless. When I found this shadow box at the Dollar Store I knew I wanted to make it into a tic-tac-toe game...and these bottle caps from The Bottle Cap Company are the perfect game pieces for this whimsical turtle game.

The process

begin with bottle caps from The Bottle Cap Company
paint them with Sakura Hobby Crafts 3D Crystal Lacquer
& Terri Sproul's Bronze Mixers.
Add a layer of Smokey Quartz Shimmers and lacquer to the top.
Set aside to dry.
create a simple turtle shape template and transfer to felt with chalk.
for the tic-tac-toe game I needed 5 brown turtles and 5 green
turtles to represent the "x's" and "o's". The bottle cap "shells"
were adhered to the felt bodies with lacquer as well.

 The game was completed by altering a Dollar Store shadow box. The box was base-coated with shades of green acrylic paint and then the edges of the box were layered first with Bronze mixers with lacquer and then Smokey Quartz stippled on to give the illusion of turtle shell. The tic-tac-toe marks were left bronze.

The game

I hope you enjoyed my project! I think it will be perfect for the kids in the car! I can't wait for them to try it! Thanks to The Bottle Cap Company for sending a selection of their product for the team to try. If you like to create with Crystal Lacquer and work with some amazing partnering companies, try out for the design team! ~leslierahye



No comments:

Post a Comment