Thursday, June 9, 2011

Father's Day Message Box


I love cruising around the Internet, reading different creative blogs and learning new techniques. I am a follower of The Graphics Fairy blog because of her awesome vintage images that she posts just about daily that are free to download (I love people who share!). I found this fun Father's Day Message Box from a link on her blog, and am now following Just Something I Made, which you should check out too!

Materials Used:
Message Box download (click here )
Craft Knife & Cutting Mat
Distressing Tool
Distressing Ink in Tea Dye
Crop a dile & dark brown grommets
Brown bakers twine
assorted goodies to fill the box

I downloaded the image and printed it on white cardstock. I used my craft knife to cut the images out (on a craft mat) and used my Martha Stewart scoring board (which I love!) to score on the dotted lines.

Now, there are instructions you can follow on the Just Something I Made blog, but I just went ahead and folded the scored lines and the box just kind of fell together really easily. I did refer to the instructions after I had folded and glued the top portion....I guess I just wanted to make sure I did it right. I used the Crystal Lacquer to glue this puppy together...just a few dabs here and there...it doesn't take much & it sticks together really well. The images on the box are really nice, so there wasn't much decoration that needed to be done at this point. Also, there are a few tags and labels on the sheet to cut out and use.


I used my Crop-o-dile to punch holes in the center of the circles printed on the front of the box & used a brown grommet in each to reinforce. I used Crystal Lacquer and Crystal Color Lacquer (in blue) to add dimension on some of the water on the front of the box, and on some of the boulders on the back. I also used it to some of the images on the tags.


I made a little charm (charm isn't very manly, but I thought it would add a little bit to the front of the box, so we'll just call it an embellishment) using a Black coated jewelry finding from Sakura. I just googled "vintage fishing postcard" to find something I liked for the charm, I mean embellishment! I printed it on white cardstock, cut it out, glued it into the finding and covered the image with crystal lacquer. While this dried, I went ahead and started on my fillers for the box. I distressed some of the edges, added more vintage images I had downloaded and printed, along with some pictures.
Now this is where you can be as creative as ever - adding messages, photos, giftcards, tickets or whatever you want! I'm going to add a little gift certificate for a fishing license for Robert (my hubby and lucky recipient of this little number for Father's Day!).


Here's a picture of what I used to close the box. Brown bakers twine, one of the tags and the "embellishment". This was a quick project - but it looks oh so creative!

Until next time - stay creative!
Check out Sakura's Blog, www.crystallacquer.blogspot.com
and their website, www.sakuracraft.com for more information, inspiration and products!

**********************

We are so excited to announce that the Sakura Hobby Craft Design Team is having a blog hop on June 30th with Blog Candy... Here is your chance to join in a fun hop with a great group of blogs. The best part is that the Blog Candy entry is super easy! You just need to become or already a follower of each of the blogs on the hop and leave a comment on each of the blogs.. See, how easy is that. We will announce the winner of the blog candy on the Sakura Blog on July 3rd, so make sure you go check out each of the blogs and leave them some love....

You will start this hop at the Sakura Blog then just continue to hop.



2 comments: