Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Making a Magic Mushroom Using Sakura Crystal Lacquer and Terri Sproul Mixers

Happy Wednesday and welcome to May! Susan here to share another project I've created using my Sakura Crystal Lacquer and Terri Sproul Mixers. Spring is in full bloom so I wanted to make something fun and whimsical...and what could be more perfect than a Magical Mushroom!!!




You never know where inspiration or alteration will present itself so you have to always be on the  lookout. I came across this paper maché mushroom in the craft store dollar bin and it was calling out to me... "PAINT ME!!!" I just couldn't resist.



This seems to be the perfect specimen to paint using Sakura Crystal Lacquer and Terri Sproul Mixers.


First, I gently pulled the stem apart from the mushroom cap for easier handling to paint.


Then with a push-pin, I poked some holes randomly to receive brads after painting. This is a styrofoam base with brown paper maché on top - which was easy to poke holes in.


Time to paint! I combined Sakura Crystal Lacquer and Shimmer Smoky Quartz Pearl Terri Sproul Mixers to paint a base layer on the stem and mushroom cap. This is a lovely taupe with hint of a smokey purple and is perfect to paint my Magic Shroom.


Then I began to layer the colors to add depth. I mixed up some Garnet Pearl (orange) and Rose Pearl (pink) Mixers with Crystal Lacquer. This dries suprisingly quick. I brushed on the colors in a dry brush fashion which gives the illusion of the veins under the mushroom cap. 


Don't forget - you CAN mix the colors together! I wanted a brighter green than the Green Pearl Mixer, so I mixed the Pearl Citrine with the Shimmer Aquamarine Mixer. I used this color to paint the top of my mushroom cap and then I accented the edges with Purple Pearl Mixer. The colors are so vibrant, and when layered, can be painted on opaque or in thin layers to show translucency.


**A TIP** You can paint your embellishments to match. I painted some silver brads of various sizes in the colors that I used for some super "blingy" dimensional spots for my mushroom.

Completed "Magical Mushroom" Ornament


This project was so fun to make. I just love the reflective qualities of the micas in the mixers. This looks like a giant foil-wrapped chocolate....sweet enough to eat.

I hope you enjoyed today's post. Go get out your Sakura Crystal Lacquer and Terri Sproul Mixers and play! Please take a look around through the projects from the other Sakura Hobby Craft Design Team members for more great projects, tips and ideas! See you next time on May 16, 2012.

If you have any questions, please leave a comment, select receive e-mail follow ups on comments and I will respond. If you would like to see more of my creations, please visit my blog sbartist : painting in the dark by clicking here.

Have a wonderfully crafty Wednesday : )

3 comments:

  1. BEAUTIFUL!!!!
    Now you need a little fairy to sit under the mushroom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely mushroom, I can see ALICE on it or under it... depending on how big she is!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just beautiful! I have to agree with Aimee and Lyneen on both of their suggestions. Your perfect little mushroom needs a friend or two.

    ReplyDelete