Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Time Flies Altered Sakura Milk Can


I altered Sakura’s little milk can into a personalized treasure tin using Sakura Crystal Lacquer, paper, burlap and ink.
Here’s the milk can:

 

I measured the can and cut my paper to fit.  I have a stack of clock faces printed on heavy paper.  You could also use a stamp, a printed graphic or patterned paper.


My paper did not fit all the way around the can, so I cut a little extra piece.
I stamped my phrase on the paper with Colorbox Chalk Ink in dark brown (“Tempus fugit,” or “Time flies”).
 
I colored the paper with 7 Gypsies Color Wash (pastel green) and let it dry.

 

Crystal Lacquer is a great adhesive and it works on metal! I coated the back of the paper with Crystal Lacquer.  You could coat the can instead, but I felt like I had better control this way.  I poured a little Crystal Lacquer onto a plastic container lid and used a foam brush to apply it to the paper.  Then I placed the paper on the can.
 
After it felt dry, I applied a coat of Crystal Lacquer on top of the paper.
I made the burlap wings from the Angel Wings die by Sizzix.  The wing was too big for my can, so I cut one out of paper and trimmed it to use it as a template for trimming the burlap ones. 
 
 
I cut out the burlap wings and then trimmed then, using the paper wing as a guide:


For tips on diecutting fabric, please visit my tutorial here.
Then I added a little distress ink to the edges of the wings (vintage photo and rusty hinge):

I adhered the wings to the can with more Crystal Lacquer.  I put one on and let it dry before I added the other.  I put some Crystal Lacquer on the can and some on the back of the top part of the wing, then held the wing tightly to the can for a couple of minutes so the Crystal Lacquer could set.  Then I set the can on its side with the wing up and let the Crystal Lacquer harden before adding the second wing.
I added clock gears to the wings with more Crystal Lacquer and stabilized the can so they wouldn’t fall off before the Crystal Lacquer hardened.  I inserted a bottle into the can and then used two full bottles to keep the bottle/can combination from rolling:

Once the gears were on securely, my treasure tin was ready!

 
 
Sakura is hosting a blog hop on May 18th!  The theme is “Fantasy” and Sakura’s Design Team is dreaming up amazing art to share with you on that day!  There will be prizes, too!  So be sure to check back here on May 18th!

During the month of May, you can get 20% off your total order at Sakura Hobby Craft!  If you haven't tried Crystal Lacquer, now is the time to get some!  Sakura also has beautiful powders for coloring the Crystal Lacquer, and lots of jewelry findings!  Enter the code Sakura05 at checkout.

 

1 comment: