Sunday, May 26, 2013

Antique Milk Can

Good morning

I've been so excited to show you my version of the Milk can that everyone has been making.  Aren't they just the greatest?  Each one is so unique and I've loved them all.  I'm kinda picking up the rear here and hope mine will inspire you to create one also.

I started out with the silver milk can and painted it white.  Then I "sanded" a bit of the white off to expose the silver and make it look shabby chic.  After that I added back some color and used the Terri Sproul mixers in Shimmer Smoky Quartz mixed with the 3d crystal lacquer.  I love this color because it's really antiquey (not a word, I know) looking.  After that was completely dried I added a "white wash" spray paint to tone down the color a bit more.  Now it really became vintage looking.

I just could stop there...last summer when I was home at my mom's we were going through some old pictures and we came upon a picture of the house she was born in.  It's the only one we have and she wouldn't give it up.  I took a picture of the picture.  It's not the best, but then this is supposed to be "vintage" looking right?  I printed the picture out and mod podged it to the painted milk tin.  Once that was completely dry I "painted" some brown acrylic paint watered down over the top of everything to give it a balanced look and then painted a thin layer of the 3d crystal lacquer over the top to keep it from scratching off the paint.  I then added some flowers and I gave it to my mom for Mother's Day.  
I just love the way this all came together and now she can treasure her "homestead" for a long time to come.
I hope I've inspired you to create something using these fabulous milk cans and if you do, please leave me a comment and I will come and check yours out.  You can always find me here also.  Thanks again for coming by and see you soon - Brenda



If you`d like to order your milk cans today - you will get 20% of your ENTIRE ORDER (for the month of May) so act fast as I`m sure these cans will be flying off the shelves. 
Use code Sakura 05 at checkout

3 comments:

  1. This is LOVELY Brenda! Very vintage looking, THANKS so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great Job Brenda! Love the vintage feel...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like your finishing work on this can, it does look very aged, well done!

    ReplyDelete